the time always comes

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Commissioned Post

I have finally been tagged by a blogger I don't know - which I guess is actually all of you except cousin ptolemy and countess rowena. Mind you, I had to invite myself to be tagged! Anyway, I don't as a rule like the writing-on-demand caper that is tagging. I prefer to write at leisure about whatever takes my fancy (even if nobody bothers to drink in the genius) but it so happens that my virtual friend GW has raised a subject close to my heart - that of the written and printed word.
So here goes:

BOOKS

1. Number of books I have owned: Far, far too many to count. The number is bolstered by a) the collection of charity shop paperbacks I've acquired for around 30c a go b) the many books I have borrowed and would gladly return if I could remember who had originally lent them to me c) the number pilfered from my parents.

2. Last book I bought: Les Enfants Terribles by Jean Cocteau.

3. Last book I completed: Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. I have crossed my fingers behind my back at this point for telling a porky. I did, last week, read one of those McPotter books because I was curious - but I don't think it counts, or I'd be counting my grocery receipt.

4. Five books that mean a lot to me: I'm going to sound very predictable to those that know me... a)1984 by George Orwell - still the most prescient book ever written b) Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger c) Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - it shits on Pride and Prejudice d) The Millstone by Margaret Drabble - I read this book over and over when I was a teenager, which I don't often do with books e) Watership Down by Richard Adams - read it when I was about 9, and haven't read it since, but I'm sure I'd love it just as much now. And I have to add this book because it's just fab - Billy Liar by Keith Waterhouse. And The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks. Also all of Douglas Adams's output. I was never into sci-fi AT ALL but he managed to combine it with pop culture and make me laff. So five stars Douglas, if you're out there in the ether...

5. Which five bloggers are you gonna tag?
I don't know if I know five... so Ro, you have a go, and cuz, you can too. Others who are welcome to have a bash are Dirk, Yorkshire Soul and Russell Allen...and Ian - but Ian never listens to instructions so I'm sure my invitation is wasted!

8 Comments:

Blogger Dirk said...

Ummm, I seem to be getting tagged a lot recently. Standard response.

5:56 am  
Blogger ian said...

I am not disobedient, when it suits me.

9:06 am  
Blogger susanna said...

dirk: i posted the following on your page at the link in question:
"oops.
well, you read my post so you'll know i'm not a nuisance tagger. i was just trying to get into the spirit of things, not being part of the blogging fraternity or knowing the etiquette. apologies."

PS: is a plug on your links out of the question?

1:30 pm  
Blogger Dirk said...

No apology necessary,I am by no means upset about being tagged; most people seem to enjoy it. I don't but you had no way of knowing that.
I thought I'd already put you in the blogroll, I just fixed that. Sorry.

6:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked The Wasp Factory too, and High Fidelity and so many others.....
I'm reading "Living with Ghosts" by Prince Michael of Greece and "Coming up for Air" by George Orwell at the moment.

6:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can tag you again if you want!

10:50 pm  
Blogger susanna said...

just got in with a post - it's been nearly a month!!! what topic did you have in mind gee-dub?

11:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

7 things I plan to do before I die:

7 things I can do:

7 things I cannot do:

7 things that attract me to another person:

7 things that I say most often:

7 celebrity crushes:

11:47 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home