the time always comes

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Good Night, And Good Luck

I thought this film was elegant, eloquent and pertinent, free of condescension or compromise, and reminiscent of two brilliant films of the B&W era - Sidney Lumet's Failsafe and Billy Wilder's CLASSIC The Apartment. The latter in style, the former in content. Like Lumet's startlingly powerful essay, made at the height of the cold war and thus balanced finely on the axis of the controversy zeitgeist, Clooney's film makes a statement that is neither glib nor safe in times like these. It's not Saving Private Ryan: "war is dumb and quite messy", or Black Hawk Down: "American lives should be saved at the expense of thousands of 'skinnies' in their own country", or Titanic: "forget the ship - let's watch two vaguely attractive morons get it on", or...
let's leave it there, my housemate Robin has come up to ask me if I'd like to get a pizza. and I would.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home