the time always comes

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

This morning the headlines are screaming that "Federal Labor is in disarray over its opposition to the death penalty for terrorists". Interesting, that little qualifier 'for terrorists'. I wasn't aware there were suddenly different categories of death penalty. What about death being the great leveller and all that?

I am fiercely, unconditionally, eternally against the death penalty in all its forms, for any crime, in any country. It's bitterly ironic that, on the one issue where Kevin Rudd is showing some consistency, he's being made to look like a squirmer.

Stick to your guns, Kruddy, and back your minister McClelland. Give us a reason to believe that there are some issues on which you are unable to compromise - that there's an iota of ideological difference between you and Howard.

As the great Tony Benn once said, "be a signpost, not a weathervane".

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger eleanor bloom said...

Hmm, my comment disappeared (bloody blogger).

Basically I agreed and cheered "hear hear!".

Rudd looked stressed to me last night, 7.30 Report. And it was uncomfortable to watch (yes, be a signpost, please!). Do you think the Libs will manage to get him to snap - as they're trying to by dragging this out for so long?

2:09 pm  
Blogger susanna said...

It's looking like it, isn't it? I think he's made his biggest mistake by failing to support McClelland. He would have been mauled if he'd supported his minister, but he's being mauled anyway, so in terms of politics he may as well have taken a principled stance.

What makes me really furious is that the media is shamelessly propping the Libs up by making it all about Rudd. Not surprising given their record for dirty politics, but surprising that this country hasn't tired of it yet. It's laughable to accuse the ALP of being insensitive to the people who died in Bali - Howard has been flogging this incident for political expedience for years now.

As a nation, are we really that dumb? I fear that we are. As one person put it on The Age 'Your Say' column (which I've posted a couple of rants on today) - "Just vote for Rudd you morons!"

I mean, that's what it comes down to. We can vote for the Greens 'til the cows come home, but in most electorates it boils down to a two horse race. Howard or Rudd? ARRRGGGH!!!

I think I need to do a proper post on this.

2:50 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home