the time always comes

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

I'm back. Tumbleweed blows through the blogosphere these days, with the departure of certain rather large-scale blogs taking those in their orbit with them. Renewed readerlessness (zero down from about two) has made me feel liberated to write what I feel, garbage or otherwise, without self-censure.

I've been riding to work. I was always petrified of it - the cars, the exertion, the hat hair - but somehow I've now become hooked. It's utterly amazing. There are scents I haven't encountered since childhood. Mostly native vegetation - subtle, buttery wattle and the bark of old gums. There are strange sounds - a man scoping out an underground cable with a detector machine that made a sound like a theramin as it passed over danger below; the swish of my tyres as I pass under tunnels. Where I used to feel fatigue at the thought of saddling up, I now look forward to jumping on my bike and scooting off at the end of another irritating day at work. And I've lost weight. I can't believe it has taken me so long to figure it out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kettle said...

Hi Susanna, I fear I've ruined your readerlessness! Oh dear. I've been ferreting around looking for some interesting reading and am happy to have stumbled across your site (the link was on RYWHM).

And I'm happy to report I've discovered a new word while here: 'theramin', so many thanks and all the best for your ride to work on Monday.

11:45 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home