the time always comes

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

It should be surprising, but it isn't really.

So those yanks couldn't handle a few ancient Stones lyrics from the 70's at the Superbowl... I mean, how long has Start Me Up been knocking around the airwaves!!? I can remember rocking out to it as a tiny kiddie when 'You make a dead man come' might have made me think of ghosts visiting in the night if I'd stopped to think about it, which I didn't. Bleeping out the word "come" is not going to fool anybody - and it's only going to make the kiddies wonder what that word could possibly mean if it doesn't mean 'approach'.

Isn't society supposed to get more progressive as it matures, not less? So we've* regressed from a point in the 70's, where we could take a bit of naughty word play or the odd double entendre, to the present, where we now flush hotly at the thought of the Rolling Stones being lewd and rude - despite them having made a living out of it for 40 years? I don't understand.

*I say 'we', because the US are the cultural arbitors of the world. Not my world, but a world which even my close friends - who watch the OC, Prison Break, Desperate Housewives etc - inhabit. There's no escape.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rowena said...

Freaking absurd, the whole thing.

"You make a dead man come" is one of my fave Stones' lines ever! It's fucking hilarious - so over the top. I love it how it's in the fade out too - you could easily miss it, as I'm sure most people would have if it hadn't had such huge attention drawn to it this week.

3:35 pm  
Blogger susanna said...

i know - it's a sneaky little aside - like what a cheeky kid might mutter under his breath as he was frogmarched out of the classroom.

3:52 pm  
Blogger susanna said...

"i'm gettin' harder than chinese algebra."

4:37 pm  
Blogger ptolemydog said...

it's all filfth. bleep it out, hide it, censor it, make it taboo and pervy and really really repressed. if only we could go back to being victorians - where even a table leg had to be covered in case we got stiffies. hmmmmmm. lovely.

1:10 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home