the time always comes

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

HAHAHA!

OK, here's another of those 'news tidbits', but it really struck a chord. It's got the David and Goliath thing happening in massive proportions. And I've always said that it's more than a bit sick when pharmaceutical giants own food brands. AND my pet irk was GlaxoSmithKline owning that impossibly sickly childhood fave, Ribena.

So I was very excited to hear that two smart NZ schoolgirls have rumbled them by testing the claim that it was loaded with vitamin C, and finding that it has practically none. What tickles (and disturbs) me is that with all their test tubes and chemicals, GSK wasn't bothered to chuck a little ascorbic acid into the cauldron along with all the colourings, saccharine and other nasties that must be in there. GOOD ONE!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I saw that in the paper. Good one!

Also, I worked at Tesco, and in my chemistry A level we were studying sodium cyano-hexa-flourates. I noticed they were used in salt as an anti-caking agent, so I took some salt in and the chemistry teacher, who was an ICI chemist, couldn't find any. Not a drop of it. It's one of the most sensitive reactions ever, and not a hint.

7:00 pm  
Blogger naridu said...

I've been loving this news story. I hated Ribena as a kid as my mum refused to give it to us despite recommendations from the local nurse that it would boost our immune system. Heh.

10:23 pm  
Blogger Chai said...

At least they're not completely evil, according to this.

10:51 am  
Blogger mskp said...

i love how the girls went to them to say 'um, we found this weird thing' and it was only because GSK was so mean to them that it became an issue.

gold.

p.s. i drink bickford's blackcurrant cordial and not for the vitamin c [it's just yum].

12:41 pm  
Blogger Mai said...

Hve these companies never heard of 'corporate karma'? (Neither have I; I just made that up.) However, I'm sure the corporate heads have racked up huge debts in the Bank of Karma - and its collection agents are really ruthless. 'the time always comes...'

izdkqk znduspvc

5:03 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home