the time always comes

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Friday, November 24, 2006

In a week's time I will be reading the following beautiful Judith Wright poem at my best friend's wedding:

Song

When cries aloud the bird of night
then I am quiet on your breast.
When storms of darkness quench the trees
I turn to you and am at rest:
and when the ancient terrors rise
and the feet halt and grow unsure,
for each of us the other's eyes
restore the day, the sickness cure

You, who with your insistent love
dissolved in me the evil stone
that was my shield against the world
and grew so close it seemed my own -
gave, easily as a tree might give
its fruit, its flower, its wild grey dove -
the very life by which I live;
the power to answer love with love.

The next day I'm fleeing this dull town for beautiful NZ. Equipped only with a few clothes, a Rough Guide, and Chris.

CIAO!

PS: We're doing a full on travelogue with photos which we'll update as we go - check it out.

5 Comments:

Blogger susanna said...

i'm almost as nervous as when i read the poem at your wedding mad! xx

7:40 pm  
Blogger Susanne said...

The best mark I ever got at uni was for an essay I wrote on Judith Wright, despite my fear of all things poetry. She's a really fascinating character, and I especially like her love poems. Have fun at the wedding!

11:53 am  
Blogger Boo said...

La la laaaa.....la la la....la......

This is the waiting noise, of she who waits for another post!

10:24 am  
Blogger susanna said...

oh boo - your commitment in the face of the whistling wind and the odd knot of tumbleweed has moved me to tears... and action. i'll see what i can do for you.

happy new year!

12:04 pm  
Blogger Boo said...

My voyeuristic curiosity of other blogs/lives must be sated!!

5:21 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home