the time always comes

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Saturday, November 03, 2007

This morning I am having a bit of a minor personal crisis. I did this test.

Weird isn't it? ...and of course, as anyone who has read my blog in the last few weeks could tell me, I am a left brainer. A rational, reality-based, facts and figures nerd. This has never been the case in the past and I'm starting to wonder how it has come about. Shows you what happens when you open a News Limited link - bad bad karma man... but I digress.

None of my recent posts have contained anything of myself in them - my personal political beliefs, yes, but nothing of my creative inner life, my relationships, my observations, my brain noodlings. I haven't intended this to be the case - like most of the other bloggers I read, I have found it near impossible to ignore the current big, fat, scary, future-determining battle to oust one bespectacled man and replace him with another. One of my real life friends, who, I bizarrely discovered, moves in these same blogging circles recently linked to me as a 'political blog'. This is not something I ever set out to do or be, but there you have it. It will be over soon.

7 Comments:

Blogger mskp said...

far out! i see it clockwise, and can't see it anti-clockwise, no matter how i hard i try.

figures.

3:39 pm  
Blogger eleanor bloom said...

Wow. That is awesome! It was clockwise, then I read some more and looked back and it was anti-clockwise; after reading and looking back again (noticing it had changed out of the corner of my eye) it's going clockwise again.

Must say a part of me is wondering if they change it... but if it didn't for you guys than perhaps I'm rather flexible? (Ambihemispheric????)

10:24 pm  
Blogger Melanie Myers said...

Someone sent me that about a month ago and I thought it was going anti-clockwise then, but it was definitely clockwise this time. Maybe we have days where one side is more dominant.

I must admit I like reading the stuff you blog about. I would like write about similar things, it's just that I find I'm a bit of a novice in this field so writing about the personal stuff is just easier - or a cop out. Depends how you want to look at it. I do really like reading the personal stuff other bloggers write about though - I like the personality insights and the glimpsing of the real lives behind the *political* opinions. Some insights, Susanna?

4:38 pm  
Blogger susanna said...

the first day i tried it, i couldn't possibly see how it could go clockwise. i was having a very difficult day at work that day (how's that for an excuse!).

when i looked at it subsequently i was able to 'force' it to change direction, but anti-clockwise seemed to be the 'default' position when i wasn't trying. which makes me a little sad.

i feel quite defensive about this, obviously, though i shouldn't really. we've got two sides of the brain for a reason. kudos to people who are, as EB puts it, 'ambihemispheric'.

i find these sorts of tests, like the myers briggs one, unhelpful and divisive. i think our social environment contributes greatly to how we grow and adapt to situations.

clearly i can 'flex' my brain to use the right side more, but at this stage in life my left brain is being flogged to death by work, whereas my right brain is starved of 'nutrients' (colour, beauty, texture). i'm constantly processing facts and figures and spending less time marvelling at life than i should.

so i think the fact that my creative life is being squeezed out says more about my (non-existent) work-life balance (pftt - i hate the term, but there it is) than it says about me. i'm overworked. somehow i've managed to turn even this into an election issue, hey blakkat! ;)

seriously though, i will try to provide some insights soon.

PS: vale the twinkly-eyed norman mailer. i didn't agree with him much, but i liked his dedication to thought and the written word.

10:24 am  
Blogger mskp said...

you mean the twinkly-eyed WIFE STABBING norman mailer?

yes, yes, hell of a writer though...x

1:33 am  
Blogger susanna said...

ms - i have been thinking long and hard about doing a post about norman and his 'issues'... but i don't think i will. for all his dodginess, i think the world is sadder for his passing. stupidity rules in this day and age.

9:29 am  
Blogger Chai said...

It's called focus (and I'm not referring to the rotating image).
I saw that anti initially but can switch, with some effort.

7:31 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home